screw the status quo. we need change and we need it now. we need not a leader who plays with words and public funds. we need not a leader whose years of service fall under the 'fiction' category. we definitely need not a leader who knows nothing. we require a leader who has conviction, who has the guts to change the seemingly unchangeable. we need... to prepare for 2007. Now.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Emails and concerns

Hello, Katie,

I was looking around and found your site. I read your topics and found them to be interesting. I was born in the Philippines in Pasay but left when I was 3 years old, and was raised in the United States. Needless to say after 24 years I went home for a visit and to my surprise, a lot have changed. The point I’m trying to get across is that I would lend my right hand to my countryman, and yet he wants my whole right arm and at the same time start nibble ling on my other arm. Salamat at tinoruan ako nang pinsan ko mag tagalong, pero bakit ganoon? Is it because I have been away from home for such a long time, that I have forgotten what it’s like to be a Filipino? What are your thoughts on my question? Ms. Torres, if ever you may have, or not have the chance of replying to my question, I would like very much to thank you for your time and please keep up your good work.

::Robert Tailor

------------------------------------

Hi Robert,

Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

You know our countrymen are in the midst of crisis right now due to corruption and poverty. In times like this, both sides of the Filipino shows- the good side that lends a hand whenever he feels it needed, and the bad side that creeps within when suffering gets more intense. It's a good thing you are in the good side, but it takes a lot of effort to be and stay there.

The Filipinos, by heart, are kind-hearted people. We are a people of the Bayanihan, of real faith towards God and good customs. Sadly, things may have been better the last time you've been to this country but indeed, a lot has changed since you left.

It's the system that slowly corrupts our fellow Filipino. But I believe a lot is at stake if we are to reverse it. We need Filipinos to open their eyes to what's happening in the bigger picture, so that they may be made aware that the suffering that they experience now is the suffering that is experienced by most except the evil few. By then, they will know that they need to unite, then focus on the real cause of the national crisis...

In other words, change would start with re-educating the Filipino. Not the type of education that is currently applied on public schools (the three Rs), but much deeper. We need to start planting awareness to our kids and teeners, our next generation, of what's true among the false concepts. I believe I've started it through my blog, but still yields little results. We need to find more blogs that tackle almost the same topics, same awareness. We need to show that that we know what they're doing, and they oughtta change their ways.:)

::Katie

---------------------------
I've been reading lots of emails like this one, and as much as I want to answer all of them, it's just that I had so little time because of work. I hope you guys understand, but I DO read all of your emails and appreciate every one of them. Thank you for keeping me updated of the real heart of the Filipino these days... I miss the Philippines and I pray everyday that God would lend His hand again like in EDSA I to make things better.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

wow! schizo. uh... thanks?

2:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait.. you miss the Philippines? Katie where are you residing at now?

1:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home