screw the status quo. we need change and we need it now. we need not a leader who plays with words and public funds. we need not a leader whose years of service fall under the 'fiction' category. we definitely need not a leader who knows nothing. we require a leader who has conviction, who has the guts to change the seemingly unchangeable. we need... to prepare for 2007. Now.

Sunday, September 28, 2003

Nowadays, Kris is big. She's every headline you'd see everywhere. She's every jabber you'll probably hear in the streets. She's every issue you'd probably encounter in any regular day discussion. And I didn't thought she'd turn to be the latest bayani Filipinos (or Filipinas) would have since Sarah Balabagan (Have you seen this chick lately?).

Yup! She has turned into a bandwagon.

From showbusiness to politics (in the country, there's no line separating em), people talk about how Kris served as a role model of Filipino women. Upon exposing and admitting that her live-in partner, Joey "Sissy Boy" Marquez, had been violating her for so long to millions of television freaks worldwide, once again the Philippines is bombarded with issues blown-out into uncontrolled proportions, only the Stocks Exchange remained unblemished and unshaken (surprisingly). Active women's group suddenly appear from all over, celebrating another success in the fight for women's rights and feminism, and in making everyone aware of related issues such as "domestic violence" and "women's rights."

Ah. Feminism. Let as focus on that.How does feminism work? If feminism works upon the notion that women should be treated not the same as how men should be treated in the society because the latter is naturally a weak species, then I'm no feminist. Say I am in a crowded bus and a guy suddenly offers a seat just because I'm a woman, I will definitely be offended. Or my boyfriend (supposing that I have one) hurts me because as a woman, I am never allowed to have nights out with my male friends. Now that would make me feel violated. Why? There is this assumption that men are stronger than women in this situation, or women have more limitations than men in the society- I should be seated instead of this guy because I am a woman or I should be home when night falls. Screw that idea! We are not weak! We may have some problems in terms of the physical aspect, or issues in terms of the emotional aspect... and ok, we complain more than guys do. But these qualities are not weaknesses. They are qualities that make us different, just like how male arrogance and instant hormonal urges make men different from us. We are different, but we all belong to the human species. Both genders came from planet Earth, so why treat them in a different manner? Feminism should work not on the basis that these genders are different. Feminism is about asserting that we are no different from men.

Although this is soooo 90s, I must say: You go, girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home