screw the status quo. we need change and we need it now. we need not a leader who plays with words and public funds. we need not a leader whose years of service fall under the 'fiction' category. we definitely need not a leader who knows nothing. we require a leader who has conviction, who has the guts to change the seemingly unchangeable. we need... to prepare for 2007. Now.

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Paradox of Our Time


We have taller buildings, but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints; we spend more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy it less.

We have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, but less time; we have more degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgments; more experts, but more problems; more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too seldom, watch TV too much, and pray too sparingly.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom and lie too often. We’ve learned how to make living, but not a life; we’ve added years to life, not life to years.

We’ve been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor

We’ve conquered outer space, but not inner space; we’ve done larger things, but not better things; cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul; we’ve split the atom, but not our prejudice; we write more, but learn less; plan more, but accomplish less.

We’ve learned to rush, but not to wait; we have higher incomes; but lower morals; more food but less appeasement; more acquaintance, but fewer friends; more-effort but less success.

These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer to quit, to kill.

It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the stockroom.

We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever but have less communication;

We’ve become long on quantity, but short on quality.

7 Comments:

Blogger quay said...

hi katie. i am a regular visitor to your site but i think this is the first time that i've ever made a comment. wonderful entry. made me think deep about my life right now and the state of the world. you are a profound soul. keep writing. is it okay if i add you to my blogroll list? my blogsite is www.quay.blogspot.com. thank god for writers like you. at least there is still some sense in the world. :)

1:57 AM

 
Blogger jactinglim said...

Ah yes :) I got this as a forward a few years back. You wrote this? You should've been credited

6:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is probably your most impressive post so far. I'm blown away by its depth through the play/juxtaposition of words. More....more...more...
(Mr. FV)

10:56 PM

 
Blogger Dante said...

I've read this piece read twice as a mass homily on two different occasions some time ago. Did you actually wrote this?

It's beautiful.

12:48 AM

 
Blogger Katie said...

*sigh* How I wish I was the one who wrote this one... I just received this from an email from a friend. The message is so nice, I can't help but post it on my blog. I just don't know where my friend got this one... ah well...

A priest is reading my blog? I'm so honored. Bless me, Father. :) Thank you very much...

Jac, remember what we've been talking about last time about men? There ya go! LOL!

5:33 AM

 
Blogger solo flite said...

nice post. is this an original work?

8:51 AM

 
Blogger Dante said...

Haha. Nope, I'm no priest. What I meant was that I heard that piece twice before, read as part of a homily in a mass. :)

10:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home